It's time I just came out and said it...I'm addicted...to Facebook. What an incredible invention!! The only reason that I even have a Facebook page is because a friend of mine sent me an invitation to it. At the time, I was a My Space girl. I liked My Space because I could customize the backgrounds and play music. I had also found several of my friends on there, which was really nice to be able to catch up with them. So when I got the invitation to Facebook, I politely joined, but never touched the thing again for well over a year. Finally, I decided that I would just log in and at least download a profile pic. It was all downhill from there!
Once I got started with Facebook, I never checked the My Space profile again. In fact, I finally just deleted my profile because I hadn't even looked at it in so long. There are a few cool things about My Space that Facebook doesn't do (like the backgrounds and the music), but it's not enough to hold my attention. For starters, I have found so many people on Facebook that I hadn't talked to in what seems like a hundred years! Some of them are people that I really try to keep in touch with, and some are old friends that I haven't seen in years. We may not really talk much anymore, but it's nice to be able to log in and see what's going on in their lives.
I love the status bar where you can just type in some short blurb about what you're doing or thinking. It's a great way to keep up with people without having to search through their whole profile or send some long e-mail to see what's going on. I'm also addicted to the stupid quizzes and top 10 lists too. Not that it is going to change my life in any dramatic way to find out that my color is gold, or that if I was a gemstone, I would be an amethyst. It's just fun to see how these things turn out (the risk of computer viruses aside).
Facebook CAN have it's downside (i.e. viruses as mentioned), which I have found to be minimal so far. For one, I got a friend request from someone that I have not seen, talked to, e-mailed, or even given a thought of since sixth grade. In fact, it had been so long that I wasn't even sure that I knew her. I really had to think back to see if I could even remember her! In cases like this, there are one of two scenarios that come into play; (1) either they are just being nosy about you and want to see what you look like now, or what you are doing these days, or (2) you really made some impact on their lives, and although you didn't really realize it, they never forgot about you. I choose to hope that it's the second of those scenarios as to why someone would look me up after all of these years. I'm sure that I have sent friend requests to people that have thought the same of me too.
The other thing I found that was a downside was that sometimes there are things that you find out about people that you maybe didn't really want to know. I cannot even tell you how completely horrified I was to find out that my very first HUGE crush, first kiss, first broken heart...ended up GAY! It's not that I don't think the world of him, it was just a giant shock to view his profile, only to find that he is interested in men, has a boyfriend, and has pictures of himself with crossdressers (think To Wong Foo...). In hindsight, it does explain a few things, but I just can't even go there...
No comments:
Post a Comment