On one hand, I'm excited that this school year is coming to a close. On the other hand, I'm hating every minute of it! The good points of school ending are 1) traffic gets MUCH lighter. This continually amazes me! I can't imagine that there are actually that many people associated with schools every day! There are so many kids that ride the bus, and the ratio of teachers to students at Forrest's school is somewhere around 1:20, and the KIDS can't drive... And I'm not just talking about in the school zones either! The interstate traffic is even better! 2.) No more homework! I know that it doesn't take much time for him to get it done, but it is such a relief not to have that hanging over our heads for the summer. And 3.) vacation is coming!! I never really appreciated the fact that I could just pack up and go whenever I wanted to before Forrest started school. There was no worry about whether he was missing class, and it was much cheaper to travel since we could get off-season rates in early spring or fall.
Now, the bad point: Forrest will be in a new school next year. This makes me very sad because I love the school he's been attending. I know it's just the intermediate school, but I almost feel like the other parents at the primary school are family. Although I don't know most of their names, the parents that I would see every day, bringing their children in to school were almost like family! There would be certain parents that would arrive at the same time each day, and we all would smile and wave, just like we were old friends. Since Emma has been born, Chris has been taking Forrest to school, and I miss that.
I have LOVED all of Forrest's teachers (with the exception of one interim teacher, but that's another story...). Forrest's Kindergarten teacher was absolutely precious! She was really young and cute, and all of the kids loved her. She liked having parent helpers in the classroom, and welcomed me whenever I got the rare opportunity to come and help out or eat lunch with Forrest. One of the other moms (from morning drop off!) called her Mary Poppins, which was really very fitting. She got pregnant with twins early in the school year, and left for maternity leave in early March-enter the interim... I don't know what the deal was with her. Forrest didn't complain about her, but she just wasn't very friendly. I don't know, maybe she's just quiet, but I do know that she was not very welcoming when I took the day off to help with field day. Other parents did have issues with her, to the point that they were STILL talking about her at Forrest's birthday party...in late July... Oh well, when you've had Mary Poppins, I don't guess anyone else will do!
Forrest's first-grade teacher was equally as precious! To date, this was his first (and only) crush, although he would NEVER admit it! He brought home a little book that they did about their favorite things. On one page, it shows their favorite things to see. He drew a picture of a man and a woman. When he was showing it to me, my assumption was that it was Chris and I, but NO!! He showed me, oh so proud, and said, "That's Daddy, and that's Mrs. Moore." As cute as it was, I was a little offended, but I had to laugh! He back-tracked and told me that he meant me, but I knew better! How cute! They had a chorus performance at the end of the year, and I noted that the class was the most well-behaved of all of the groups up there. She ran a tight ship, and I LOVED it!
Finally, his second-grade teacher has been wonderful too! A few weeks ago, she actually came to watch him play baseball! I was amazed that his teacher would take her personal time to come and watch one of her students play a sport outside of the classroom. She told me that she tried to do that for her students whenever possible because she wants them to know that she cares about the outside of the classroom as well. WOW!! That was so very thoughtful!
I am continually amazed at how much Forrest has learned since he started school. As he goes to third grade, he knows all about the planets and solar system, can read, write (in cursive!), knows fractions, measurements, and even multiplication tables!! I guess all of this is on my mind as the year winds down, and teacher appreciation week wraps up. I asked another parent the other day what they did for their child's teacher and the told me that they didn't do anything. She said they didn't do anything because she didn't appreciate the teacher. I was horrified, and grateful all at the same time! Forrest has never had a teacher that I didn't appreciate, and I just hope that this trend continues at his new school next year...
No comments:
Post a Comment