I was once told that your body changes (drastically) every 7 years. Hmmmmm... As I'm getting older, I'm not sure I like this. I guess it makes sense, although it wasn't as noticeable when I was younger. My teeth started falling out at 7, puberty at 14... I don't really remember what happened at 21... Maybe I was just in a drunken haze... But now 28... THAT was a monumental year!!
When I was 28, I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis. Oh joy! That was a blessing! My sister told me when I hit 30 that I would completely fall apart (she's 7 years older than me). Well, I didn't even make it to 30!!! ARTHRITIS at 28???? It started with my hands. I noticed that when I was not using them, they would get to where I couldn't squeeze them or make a fist. It would be like that in the mornings, or if I was just laying there watching TV for a while. My doctor was the one to break the fantastic news... She said that it wasn't carpal tunnel because it wouldn't affect my pinkie, so it had to be arthritis. Well, GREAT!
Not long after that, my knee started bothering me. It hurt to walk on it, and it was swollen up to twice the size of the other one. I was just SURE that I had done something to it. (I had no idea what, since I don't believe in exercise so I just don't do it...) I made the appointment at KOC, and after several x-rays, I was informed that it was arthritis. Even better! It's SPREADING...
Other than this, I've been fairly healthy. I'm not out sick from work, and I rarely have problems outside of an occasional sinus infection (except for the time that my boss decided to come to work with the flu and share it, but that's another story...). It's all good. At least it WAS until this past February. Did I mention that I was 35??
In February, I got the stomach bug. Well, at least I thought it was the stomach bug. Emma woke up in the middle of the night, and she had thrown up. That was a first for her. She's never thrown up in her two years of life (and I don't count spit up-that's not vomit people!). I didn't feel bad at all until early the next morning. When the alarm went off, I just didn't feel right. I decided early on that I was going to stay home from work. I figured I'd just keep Emma with me, and it would be all good by the end of the day. I felt a bit like throwing up (which I HATE to do worse that anything on this earth!), but thought if I stayed still, maybe if would pass. Ummmmm.... not so much... It was all down hill from there. I finally decided to just go throw up and get it over with... Let's just say that wasn't the end of the story...
I won't grace you with the gory details, but I didn't just throw up. There was more to it. You can figure it out... So anyway, I never threw up again, but the rest of the fun continued on for WEEKS! I would be fine as long as my stomach was empty, but the second I ate something, I felt AWFUL! After two weeks of this, I had finally had enough. I looked (and felt) like death, so I dragged myself to the walk-in clinic. The doctor started talking about my gall bladder. Oh joy! Now THERE'S something I'd never thought about! He gave me some pills to take that would help keep my food down, and sent me on to my regular doctor. Well, two months, five doctor visits, $190 in OV co-pays, two scripts, $16 in pharmacy co-pays, an ultrasound, a gall bladder function test, and one surgery later, I'm happy to report that I'm feeling just fine...
I am NOT looking forward to turning 42! Maybe by then, I will have built up some personal time again. At least I have six more years to worry about it...
No comments:
Post a Comment